Thursday, March 27, 2008

Self-Talk

Have you ever felt like you have tried everything to reach a student? Maybe you have tried positive reinforcement, or calling home, or even a contract? I have. Often when I think these things, I am at the give up point in which I start my negative "self-talk". You know, the speeches we give ourselves when something happens to us. The natural tendency is to say to ourselves "this kid is not going to change". I have been battling this "self-talk". I believe very strongly that what we "self-talk" will usually happen. Therefore, I think it is so important for us to shake our mind of the negative "self-talk". Here are somethings that I do when my mind drifts to all the negative things regarding a student:


  1. Try to think of one positive thing about this student. (sometimes this is hard)

  2. Find a time in which to communicate this positive thing to them. (this is really hard)

  3. Try to find an obstacle that this student has been battling and empathize with them. Maybe it's their home life. Maybe it is a lack of friends. Or maybe it is a lack of self confidence that is coming out in the wrong way. Then I use this to understand their situation a little better.

  4. If you think this about this student, then probably others think the same. Therefore who is going to stop the cycle?

  5. Think back to when you were in 8th grade. Do you remember? It was tough. I would like to think the adults in my life were rooting me on, instead of giving up.

  6. Make a point to say hello each time you see this student.

  7. I pray for this student and my attitude towards them.

"Whether you think you can or can't, you are right". Henry Ford


What are some techniques you are using to stop your negative "self-talk"?

I still believe each student can change,

Dave

No comments: